As a S’porean who (to his great surprise and against his better judgement) believes that the PM is sincere abt addressing the concerns of S’poreans, I hope the PM will read “Dealing with an Angry Public: The Mutual Gains Approach to Resolving Disputes”; and make it compulsory reading for ministers, PAP MPs and senior civil servants.
The book is about the ”mutual gains approach” in dealing with the public:
- Acknowledge the concerns of the other side.
- Encourage joint fact-finding.
- Offer contingent commitments to minimize impacts if they do occur, and promise to compensate unintended (but knowable) effects.
- Accept responsibility, admit mistakes, and share power.
- Act in a trustworthy fashion at all times.
- Focus on building long-term relationships.
Two useful links for anyone interested in the book
And WP, SDP and SPP leaders and public communications teams should buy the book to improve their communication skills.
Yes, I left out RP, NSP and SDA: for a very gd reason. The 2011 GE shows that these parties have been rejected by S’poreans. I hope they will heed the message and close shop.